Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Initial Impressions: Catan - the First Island

Still feeling a strong desire to play Settlers of Catan, on Saturday night decided to buy the iPhone game Catan: The First Island.

The good news is that it definitely scratches the Catan itch. It took me a little bit to figure out how to actually start a game, but once I worked that out, the game play was very intuitive.

The default animation speed for dice rolling and the various comments the other players makes it all quite slow, but fortunately that's easy to turn off.

My biggest complaint is that the AI players are too easy to beat - I lost the first game because I was still getting back up to speed (and even then would have been okay if the rolls in the last two rounds had gone a bit differently), but since then I think I've only lost one game (and I was on 9 points and a win in my hand).

Overall, I'm very pleased with the money I spent. It's never going to replace the actual board game, but it's great for killing 10mins or so. Or if you're a gamer who's all on his own

No comments:

Post a Comment