Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Super Secret Project II: Teaser

At the end of last week I had a little "oh, I'm so shit, why do I even bother" moment. I have a post half-written about it, but I keep not posting it because I don't really want this to be a complain-y blog. But anyway, part of what caused the "I'm shit" was this sword.

Rather than just go for a straight silver or steel colour, I wanted to give the metal a blue, electric look - like it was pulsing with energy. I also wanted the runes to look like they were glowing or burning.

I initially coated the sword in a silver/black mix that I usually use for steal, and then went back over the edges with a silver/light blue mix. Then using the same blending/combining effect I'd used elsewhere on the model, I tried to have the straight light blue colour on the extreme edges of the blade.

For the runes, I started by hitting them with a thin coat of orange. That was the point I stopped on the first night, and despite being quite pleased with my work up close, decided it looked like rubbish from a few feet away. It was only meant to be the first colour, and I knew it wouldn't look right until it was finished, but I guess I was surprised by how bad it looked.

Anyway, on Saturday I came back and added some more colours - a yellow/orange mix over most of the original orange, then straight yellow into the middle and deep areas of the runes, followed by a yellow/white mix to the very deepest parts.

I'm actually really happy with the end result. From the distance the runes look really good. The blue in the blade is quite subtle, but helps to contrast the fiery look of the runes. It also makes it look almost like there's frost on the blade or a soft blue glow.

I'm really pleased with how various parts of this model are turning out. Hopefully the end result comes together nicely!

No comments:

Post a Comment