Monday, May 3, 2010

Super Secret Project Part II: Putting it All Together

I spent that last few evenings last week cleaning and preparing all the bits. On Saturday I sat down to actually do some assembly. I've had some success in the past using greenstuff to join metal together - since it's slightly flexible when it sets, it seems to survive a bit better than a superglue join.

It also works really well to fill the gaps, and gave me a chance to try out my new greenstuff sculpting tools!

The first rule of working with greenstuff is that you only need half that much. It doesn't matter how much you use, you always end up wasting half of it!

I couldn't get a sold join for the arms, so in the end I decided to try pinning them. The only option I had was to pin the arms to each other - I mounted one arm, then drilled into the shoulder joint, stuck in the brass rod and the drilled into the other arm. I ended up getting the alignment a little wring, but a bit more greenstuff cleaned it up so you wouldn't notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment