Thursday, May 13, 2010

Super Secret Project Part II: Blending

This week I've managed to get a bit of solid work done on the current Super Secret Project. I had felt like I was making very slow progress, but suddenly a lot of different parts came together.

I tried my hand at blending - a technique for getting one colour to flow into another one. I hadn't really thought about it before, and didn't read up on how to do it - I just went with my gut. I had the two colours on my pallet, put on some of the first colour on the model, dotted my brush into the other colour and then worked the paint up towards where I wanted the new colour. Then I went back to the pallet and grabbed a little more of the second colour and continued working up. Each time I went back over some of the colour I'd already laid down, but tried to make sure I was leaving some of the original. Eventually it faded from the purple I was using to the red.

I was very pleased with the result. As you can see from the photo, even up really close there's a fairly even fading between the two colours. What's more, it was really easy to do and pretty quick. Throw in a bit of highlighting and it will all look amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment