Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Shadows Over Camelot: Adding the Tratior

Over the last year, K and I have been playing the occasional game of Shadows Over Camelot with K's cousin M.

I know SOC has a "solution" - once you work out how to beat the game you can fairly consistently pull off a win. But I've deliberately avoided trying to work it out mainly because I have fun playing it. It's also helped that I don't play it often enough for it to become obvious.

Since there were only three of us playing, and since both K and M were still getting used to the rules, we didn't play with the traitor. But for our most recent games we decided that it was time to add in the loyalty cards.

The game plays with up to 7 knights. At the start of the game, each knight draws a loyalty card from a deck of 8. 1 card in the deck says "traitor", the others say "loyal". If you draw the traitor card then you are actively working against all the other players trying to make them lose. So even by introducing the traitor card, in a 3-player game the odds of there actually being a traitor are pretty slim.

Game 1: At the beginning I thought to myself that on the off chance that there was a traitor in the game, I really hoped it would be me. Sure enough, it was! M has a tendency to put out siege engines rather than draw from the Progression of Evil deck, so I just waited for the little plastic catapults to surround Camelot, and then put out one of my own.

Game 2: I thought to myself that there almost certainly wouldn't be a traitor again. Turned out there was - K! She won pretty much the same way thanks to M pushing the siege engines. But she also managed to make sure she picked up both the grail and lost Excalibur.

No comments:

Post a Comment