Sunday, September 19, 2010

Weekend Gaming with a New Group

While I was in Canberra over the weekend, R arranged a board game night with some of his friends and kindly invited me along to try a couple of the games I haven't had a chance to play before.

Race for the Galaxy
After playing the solitaire PC version, I finally got a chance to play the actual card game against real humans. It all made a bit more sense, and was a lot easier to follow in real life.

I didn't win, but I was reasonably pleased with how I played. Ultimately I didn't end up with enough production cards (as always), so I wasn't able to get enough victory points happening.

I was so excited to finally get a chance to play this! I decided to play as Apollo, mostly because I thought being able to get out in a viper and do something useful would be lots of fun. We had R and Adama, S as Roslin (mostly because S wanted to know what it would be like to play Roslin), E as Chief Tyroll and D as Boomer. My first loyalty card had me as a human.

Things progressed reasonably well. We even managed to go above our starting fuel fairly early on. The only problem was that we weren't jumping very far.

We managed to fend off a couple of cylon attacks - D wiped out a stupid number of raiders, and I even managed to take out a Basestar with my viper. And then slowly things started to get worse and worse. S started to suspect various people as being the cyclon, which made me suspect that it was actually her. We kept jumping very small distances, and the damage to Galactica was starting to build up while our resources were quickly failing.

Eventually R revealed himself to be the cylon, and escaped to the resurrection ship. Soon after, we discovered that D was also a cylon, having changed sides in the sleeper phase. A couple more setbacks, and me ending up in the brigg meant that there really wasn't any hope for us. But we did manage to put up an excelled fight

I really enjoyed the game, and can't wait to try it again. I thought it captured the feel of the show amazingly well, with the impending doom and not knowing who to trust. Lots of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment