Monday, September 27, 2010

Birthday Gaming Night

As part of my turning 30 celebrations, I organised a gaming night. We got through a reasonable number of games, some new and some old favourites.

Despite being considered a modern classic (at least by BoardGameGeek, who rate it #2 of all time), I'd never had even had the chance to look at the rules before. It definitely seemed like one of those games where describing the rules was a lot harder than just playing the game. We seemed to get the hang of it fairly quickly, but it also quickly became apparent to me that some early decisions were going to cost me the game.

A couple of times I just managed to avoid not having enough food at harvest time, and a stupid decision about fence placement ended up costing me a few points. But overall it was a pretty fun game. I'd love to have another go at it, now I know a bit more about what I'm trying to do.

WDPTAA is a card game. The object is to win - if you lose, you haven't won. Each card does something that either helps you to win or helps someone else to lose. Or sometimes the other way around. It's one of those crazy, extremely random games that goes so well with mates and alcohol. Certainly not something you'd want to spend a night playing, but great for in between games.

Two players control the zombies while everyone else controls a human trying to survive/escape the zombie horde. Pretty straight forward - move around the board, get cards, do stuff with the cards, roll some dice to fight.

We (the humans) got thoroughly owned - despite cheating about the number of characters who could die, we lost less than halfway through the game.

I didn't love it, and I'm not sure if it adds much over something like Zombies!!!, but I'd happily give it another go.

We knew it wasn't the best game to start at 10pm when everyone had been drinking and only one person had even read the rules. But we decided to try it anyway. We made it most of the way through the first turn before we gave up.

There was a lot to take in as a first impression. The sheer number of different pieces, different cards and different turn options had some of us groaning before we'd even got everything out of the box. Personally, I was following enough of what was going on that I would have been happy to keep playing, and I'm very keen to give it a proper go. But we're going to save it for next time we can arrange a morning gaming session.

The classic (at least for us) card game of dungeon crawling and back stabbing. It pretty much always ends the same way - you don't so much win as survive until everyone else has run out of ways to stop you. You always have that same let down feeling at the end, unless you won, in which case you feel awesome.

Somehow I managed to get to level 9 extremely quickly and stayed at around 8-9 for the whole game, despite virtually never having any item cards (I got my first level thanks to a potion, but I think that was it). Naturally I didn't win, but I was impressed never the less.

No comments:

Post a Comment