Thursday, July 29, 2010

Improving my Angels of Redemption Painting

In between playing Torchlight and the family and life stuff we had happening over the weekend, I managed to fit in a bit of hobby time. I pulled my landspeeder bits out again with the aim of getting the two crew members painted up.

While I've been pretty happy with my Angels of Redemption colour scheme, it's far to time consuming - I've spent hours and hours and turned out 5 almost complete models and a bunch of half-done ones. So I decided to try streamlining it a bit more.

I primed the two crew with white gesso rather than black - previously having to build up the white half from black took ages, and I was hopeful that it would make getting the green a bit easier too. I then put down a layer of gnarloc green on the green half, followed by dark angels green.

I should have tried just straight dark angels green on the white gesso, because the result was still too dark. I tried a quick coat of clover green, but it looked messy and the wrong colour. So I did a 1:1 mix of dark angels green and clover green, thinned it down a fair bit and slapped it on. I was pretty happy with the results.

I hit the white half with skull white, and then all but the deepest recesses with a slightly lighter skull white. The second coat didn't really change the colour very much, and it was still far to yellow. So I then hit it all with an almost 2:1 bright white/skull white mix, which came out much better.

Trying to paint the Aquilas gold over white failed, so I went over them with black before going the gold again. Since I had the black going, I also touched up the soft areas of the knees, elbows and necks (as well as tidied up some of the sloppy areas.

I took to the faces with light brown, then 1:1 light brown and flesh. I then hit the raised areas with flesh and the top of the bald head with skull white. I was pretty pleased with the initial result. I then hit the eyes with black, which worked nicely on the bald head, but caused me more problems with the hairy head.

All up, I probably spent about 2-3 hours. I'd estimate there's probably another hour in highlighting, black lining and other detailing. If I fix a few of the mistake I made this time, I should be able to knock that paint time down even more.

The biggest issue I had was I wish I had left the arms and maybe the heads off until after I'd painted the torsos. I also have issues with the white in hard to reach parts - if it was black, then you just wouldn't notice. All lessons for next time!

1 comment:

  1. I left a comment in your other post with the pictures in it. Here's the link to the exact tutorial I spoke of there.

    http://indy40k.blogspot.com/2010/07/tutorial-dark-sons.html

    My first advice would be to use a grey primer after you've primed the model black. You don't need to worry about getting the underside of the model, just the front, side, back, and top. This will add a natural shading and help your lighter colors go on a little easier.

    ReplyDelete